Monday 11 May 2009

The Realisation


I have made a decision r.e. which book I will concentrate all of my energies on in this period of unemployment (hoping, of course, that this particular period of unemployment is not too protracted). I will be writing my children's book, henceforth to be referred to as Project Rodent Rebels (I feel I may as well reveal these details, considering I have already got a website registered to that name, where I have posted not-very-good character related articles and cartoon strips for a few years now). This has been based on a number of factors, in no particular order:

1) Enjoyment of writing (lots of fun);
2) Ease of writing (not that I am saying that this is an easy book to write in any way - however, the style of writing flows that little bit more naturally);
3) Length of book (as it's a children's' book I'm looking at no more than 20'000 words);
4) Likelihood of actually finishing book (see points 2 and 3);
5) Familiarity with characters (I know these characters very very well. I can switch into their minds very easily because they have been in the planning for 6 years);
6) Marketability (this is a book that will, God willing, become a series, maybe a children's TV programme, merchandise etc);
7) How much of a first draft I have already written (about 1/3);
8) How much research needs to be done (on the actual story - very little. On the market and agents etc, considerably more, but that's a little different).

I am very excited about having made a firm decision although it has been a little difficult as the two other projects I am working on I am also enthusiastic about. However, it makes more sense to be continuing with my first Rodent Rebels story. I have a feeling that this is the start of something big...

On a side note, having mentioned my website, I just googled the term 'Rodent Rebels' and the large majority of results related to the site or my other website. I also found a link to a fantasy forum and saw that someone had print-screened one of my cartoons and was using it as an avatar. Oooh, fame - how it appeals to me!

No comments:

Followers