Thursday 14 May 2009

Style.

How many new writers constantly castigate themselves for not being like 'so and so'? I do. As a relatively new writer currently in the 'research phase' (i.e. peering nervously through the window of my nearest Waterstones at all of the 'Already Published') I find that I can be quite hard on myself, comparing my own words and ideas with those already out there, and I rarely come well out of it. Why can't I be more like Neil Gaiman? Why can't I be more like Michael Morpurgo, Dick King Smith or Roald Dahl? My voice, my ideas, all quake in the presence of such giants, such heroes of mine. I feel afraid that, in order to succeed, I need to be more like them.

Well, the revelation hit me today. No, I don't need to be more like other established authors. Yes, I need to be thoughtful, organised, patient, talented, reliable and open to criticism. We all do. But I don't need to feel inadequate just because my style of writing is a little different from those I admire. Heck, it's a great thing. My style is my own and, you know what? It's good. I have no reason to feel inadequate, no new writer should. Nobody should try to be like other writers because all that will happen is that the end result becomes a bastardisation of tones; an entity that is nothing in particular.

So ends this very special episode of Blossom.

No comments:

Followers