Monday 4 May 2009

That all important first post.

Let's face it, the chances of anyone other than myself ever reading this particular post is slim. Hell, even I might not read it again beyond the half-hour grace period all bloggers have after posting - the part where you proof-read it, click 'Publish Post', then read it again on the actual blog (just to see what it looks like, you understand). And, if I'm honest with myself, I leave half-hearted and quickly abandoned blogs all over the internet, changing my user name often enough to ensure that even I can't remember which ones are mine and which aren't. So there is quite a good possibility that this blog will make it to post 2 and then no more.

Still, I try. At least, I am trying this new concept called 'discipline'. It means that when I sit down of an evening to do some writing I do not leave it until 9pm to open up Word before convincing myself that I've left it too late in the day to do any proper writing anyway, and that I may as well check my emails, visit my forums, update my blogs (or start new ones...)

My issue is procrastination, low confidence, borderline ADHD (or ADD if you're American and feel that the inclusion of the word 'hyperactivity' in the name is overkill) and - see, see! I just did it then. Damn procrastination. Yes, I have a very low attention span and am forever distracted by new projects, new writing ideas, new ways to keep organised. Ah, I do love an organisation project. Nothing clears the brainium so quite like filing ideas neatly, researching concepts, planning new story arcs then abandoning the concept in favour of another great new idea that simply must be written before I forget it.

Oooh, Quincy's on! Is that a zombie?

Now, I have ideas. Ideas are plenty easy for me. Substantial ideas on the other hand - ideas that will sustain interest for an entire novel,or that can be developed into a coherent plot - well, less so. At the moment I have three ideas. I'm not going to tell you too much about them because you might be able to make them into better stories than I can and in that case I may have to kill you. It's bad enough that Neil Gaiman has already creamed off all of the best ideas from my subconscious (even the unformed, theme-based ideas)*. I don't need anyone else beating me to a book.

But I will tell you that I am working on three books:

-A children's book which is very character based and is about the adventures of three very naughty rats.

-A YA book set in Victorian London and centred around the dark world of the Freak Show.

-A novel about a society formed after a natural disaster.

What I really need to do now is go through all of my notes for the above three and decide which I should focus on in the next instance - it's not wise to try to write three books at the same time.

Well, I say now. I mean tomorrow, really.

*I am not suggesting in any way that Neil Gaiman has plagiarized any work or idea from anyone else, and certainly not from myself. Sadly (for me) Neil Gaiman writes stories about the themes I am interested in, in the style I would like to write in with more originality than I have ever managed to pack onto a page. It would be better to say that he writes the stories I want to write.

No comments:

Followers